Released by Remco in 1957, Big Max and his Electronic Conveyor introduced children to the concept of automated conveyor belt systems.
Constructed of high-impact plastic and measuring 12 x 12 x 8 ¼-inches high, the toy operated on four D-batteries and featured a 5 ½-inch tall robot figure called Big Max at its center. Max was equipped with “powerful magnetic hands” that allowed him to perform the singular task of picking up metal ingots from nearby bins and placing them onto a conveyor belt, where they could be loaded into the bed of a waiting truck.
Children controlled Max’s actions remotely. With a knob on the front of the toy, he could be turned 360-degrees in either direction. A lever was used to turn his electro-magnetic arms on-and-off. A green light on the top of his head indicated when the electromagnet was in operation.
Once Max was rotated into place, children used the Arm Lift lever to direct him to bend over and pick up one or more metal slugs. Once the metal was placed on the conveyor belt, kids deployed the Conveyor to move it in a forward or reverse direction to the truck parked on either side.
Big Max and his Electronic Conveyor remained on store shelves for three years.
Note: If you buy something using the eBay link in this story, we may earn a small commission.