Late last year, Hasbro launched the Selfie Series, an innovative project that allowed consumers to get an action figure customized with their own unique likeness. Now, Disney takes that concept a step further with its newly initiated Tron Identity Program.
Located in the Tomorrowland Launch Depot at Walt Disney World and released in conjunction with the recently opened Lightcycle Run attraction, this park-exclusive souvenir allows attendees to create a one-of-a-kind action figure that looks and sounds just like them. Disney promises to get a fully packaged figure to you in just a matter of minutes — a much faster turnaround than the months Selfie Series savants may be forced to wait.
The secret behind Disney’s speedy service is no reliance on 3D printing. Instead, each figure features an LCD screen hidden inside the helmet. The screen displays images of digitally captured faces making different expressions which, when played back in sequence, make the figure appear as though it is talking. It’s a truly cool concept to incorporate into a toy, if you ask this writer!
Upon arriving at the shop, users enter the Grid Digitization Portal. After Image Capture scans your facial features, you will then select your helmet and body configuration. Is your program a Combatant or an Enforcer? Will you enter The Grid as a Heavy Sentry or a Scout? The choice is yours! After selecting your team colour, which will be displayed as glowing accents on your figure’s outfit, you visit Command Input and record six lines of dialogue in your own voice. These recordings can then be played back through the finished figure with the simple push of a button.
As if this entire experience doesn’t sound futuristic enough, the figure’s custom identity is stored on a tiny memory card that can be removed and transferred to other figures in the ID program, as well as a selection of other electronic Tron collectibles, available exclusively at the Lightcycle Run gift shop. The whole thing also comes in some seriously stylish window-box packaging resembling a classic Tron arcade cabinet!
Yeah, they really did tick all the boxes with this one!
According to Disney’s press release, the customization process takes around 20 minutes to complete, with the figurine ready to collect in about another hour. The ID program is also subject to availability and advanced reservations for the experience are highly recommended. Payment of $89.99 USD is due upon arrival at the location.
At the end of the day, you get a pretty cool collectible that not only embraces the spirit of the cult classic flick upon which it is based, but is also truly unique.
The Tron Identity Program launched earlier this month and is now in full swing at Walt Disney World.
Are you set to enter The Grid?
Important Details To Keep In Mind
- Price: $89.99 per action figure, plus tax.
- Payment is due upon arrival at the location.
- One action figure per user per experience.
- Packaging included.
- Additional customizable items can be purchased at Tomorrowland Launch Depot.
- Recommended age is five years and older.
- The experience area is limited to the user and one guest—at least one person in the party must be age 14 or older.
- A guest accompanying the participant may not customize their own figure unless they have a separate reservation.
- Customizable action figures are non-refundable and are not eligible for Annual Passholder (or other) discounts.
- The experience is separate from TRON Lightcycle / Run. The purchase of a TRON Identity Program does not include admission or priority access to the TRON Lightcycle / Run attraction.